FDA Sunscreen Regulations Take Effect Summer 2012
Question: Why are natural sunscreens better than the ones that have chemicals? My wife does not want me to put Neutrogena (or Banana Boat or any other commercial brand) sunscreen on the kids because of the chemicals. She said they collect in the skin and can do harm later. She said to use a natural sunscreen, like California Baby which I guess does not have certain chemicals.
Answer:: ALL sunscreens are comprised of chemicals, because all *substances* are comprised of chemicals.
The FDA’s new sunscreen labeling regulations take effect this summer. Announced last year, FDA is hoping this labeling overhaul will help users make more informed decisions about choosing the right sun protection. (Here’s a link to FDA’s answers to frequently asked questions on the topic .)
Here’s a round up of the changes we’ll be seeing because of the new regulations:
- Only sunscreens that block both UVA and UVB rays can be labeled “ broad-spectrum “
- Only broad-spectrum sunscreens with SPF 15 or higher can claim to reduce the risk of skin cancer of early skin aging. Products with lower SPFs can only claim to prevent sunburn.
- Sunscreens cannot be labeled “waterproof” or “sweatproof,” or be called “sunblocks,” since the FDA feels these labels overstate the product’s effectiveness.
- If sunscreens claim to be water resistant, they must state for how long it will be resistant while swimming or sweating, based on standard testing.
- All sunscreens must now include a Drug Facts panel on the label, including moisturizers and cosmetics.
What are some good sunscreens for the scalp? I burnt my scalp, and now it's peeling. So for future reference I want to know a sunscreen that I can put in my hair
without it looking greasy.
I use the Neutrogena spf 45, it's light and nongreasy.
We hope that these new regulations will indeed make it easier for consumers to choose their sunscreen. Ask a Pharmaca practitioner if you have further questions about the new labeling. (And check out our brand new sunscreen lines for every need.)
Anthelios Sunscreens With Mexoryl SX and Mexoryl XL: Still The ...
Question: Is it true that higher SPF sunscreens are bad for your skin? I am thinking of getting this sunscreen that's spf 55 for my face, since I got a pretty bad sunburn last month for not wearing any sun protection. But my sister told me that high spf sunscreens will eventually make my skin weak, and that spf 15 is enough to last the whole day, is that true.
Answer:: Nothing "weakens" your skin, nothing lasts all day. Always err on the side of caution and get as much SPF as you can, but limit sun exposure. if you're out all day, wear a hat and sunglasses as well.
Anthelios sunscreens with Mexoryl SX and Mexoryl XL are a perennial favorite at PharmacyMix and for very good reason:
- They are photostable, meaning they will hold up their integrity under strong sunlight
- They protect against the full range of UVA and UVB rays. If properly applied, you’ll avoid a sunburn and minimize the impact of skin aging UVA rays
- The formulations are pleasing and don’t leave sticky white casts on the face
- Mexoryl SX and Mexoryl XL are not absorbed into the bloodstream, minimizing the risk for side effects
- There is a range of products to suit every skin type and need. Whether you’re looking for facial sunscreen for daily use or one that will hold up to a hot day at the beach, Anthelios sunscreens have you covered.
What you may not know is that not all Anthelios sunscreens contain Mexoryl SX and/or Mexoryl XL . Some newer formulations contain other older sun filtering agents which may get absorbed into the bloodstream or contain other side effects including hormone disruption and skin irritation.
Question: Sunscreen is causing an allergic reaction. What sunscreens won't cause a reaction? I have found that whenever I put sunscreen on my back and chest, a few hours later I begin to react to it.it. I've tried several different sunscreens but they all seem to cause this reaction.
Answer:: Try a mineral sunscreen (titanium dioxide or zinc oxide) rather than a chemical sunscreen. They are meant for people who are sensitive so they usually say "sensitive" or "baby" on them.
For this reason, read labels carefully to ensure that you are getting the Anthelios sunscreen that you desire.
Cell-Ox Shield, which you may find in some products, is a combination of five older sun filtering agents. The compound does deliver UVA and UVB protection, but it is not the same as the Mexoryl sun filtering system. And, it contains ingredients that have been associated with side effects.
At PharmacyMix we stock a wide range of Anthelios sunscreens, all containing Mexoryl SX and/or Mexoryl XL. Backed by clinical research – these sunscreens really do deliver the ultimate in sun protection. Shop the full range here .
, Informa Healthcare , 1997
Thoroughly rewritten and enlarged, this timely Second Edition of an indispensable resource provides comprehensive coverage of the most recent advances in protecting the skin from harmful...
, Oxford University Press, USA , 2012
IARC Handbooks on Cancer Prevention Handbook 5 This authoritative illustrated book gives the evaluations on cancer-preventive activity of topical use of sunscreens, as well as recommendations to...